
The other day Steve and I were driving to Welfare Square and noticed a new cupcake shop called "Minnies" just west of State Street on 8th South. We thought it would be fun to stop in on our way back. We ended up going another place before we went home, and forgot all about the little shop. That was right at the beginning of Memorial Day week-end and I started thinking about cupcakes. I went on-line to look at some recipes and found a few I wanted to try on the Martha Stewart website and the Food Network site.
Friday late afternoon I decided to start baking the Meyer Lemon and Raspberry Cupcake recipe on the Martha Stewart web site. The recipe comes from a store in New York called "Vanilla Bakeshop" and the owner demostrated how to make the cupcakes. There is a lemon curd filling and a delicious buttercream frosting. It even had vanilla bean in it, which I've always wondered about.
They were the most delicious cupcakes I've EVER tasted. Upon his first bite, Steve's knees buckled and his eyes rolled back in his head as he said, "This is the best thing I've ever eaten."
We delivered many around and enjoyed a few more.
Then I made another cupcake recipe for dessert on Sunday which wasn't as good. They were made with a doctored-up cake mix.
It was cold and rainy on Monday, Memorial Day, so we couldn't open the cabin. Instead Kathy invited us to dinner at her house. What better thing to do than make cupcakes?? These were Strawberry Cupcakes from Martha Stewart; this recipe was from another shop in New York called "Sprinkles." The frosting looks just like our homemade strawberry ice cream and tasted fabulous. Everyone loved them.
I've made the lemon ones once more, and they were a total hit. Here's what they look like. When you have some time, try making them. It would be best to make the lemon curd the day before. Then it wouldn't take so much time on baking day.
2 comments:
Grammy, we love cupcakes. We like lemon and chocolate mint cupcakes. Can we make them with you next time we are together.
love, Lizzie and Anna
Could you make some cupcakes on July 3rd? That would be great.
Post a Comment